Housing Resources

On Campus Housing

Living on campus puts you right in the middle of Trinity’s activities, events and resources! Living on-campus offers students the best possible environment to maximize their collegiate experience and to grow personally, socially, and academically. In addition to the proximity to your classes, and classmates; living on campus is also an affordable and cost-effective choice!

Trinity has 4 residence halls for students enrolled full time in the College of Arts and Sciences at Trinity.  All on campus residents must be in good academic, financial and disciplinary standing to live in on campus housing. Residents must meet all Health Center requirements including up to date immunizations, including being fully vaccinated for COVID.  A limited number of rooms may be available for students enrolled in the School of Professional Studies, School of Education, Business and Graduate Studies and School of Nursing and Health Professions. Students in these schools who wish to live on campus must agree to abide by Trinity’s Residence Life policies.  Apply at: https://discover.trinitydc.edu/campus-housing/housing-application/.

Off-Campus Housing – Search

Catholic University Off Campus Housing website offers rental and roommate listings in proximity to Catholic University, and Trinity.

Cirtru: https://www.cirtru.com/roommates/washington-dc  Looking for a roommate in Washington, DC?  is the best roommate finder in Washington, DC. Sign up for free and get started today! Find a room or roommate through various listings in Washington, DC.

DCHousingSearch.org is a FREE listing service that provides easy access to information about housing opportunities within the District of Columbia.

SpareRoom is a site dedicated to helping you find the right people to live with! Everyone’s idea of the perfect housemate is different, so search based on what’s important to you.

Renters’ Resources & Education

Housing Assistance and Financial Resources

Housing Resource Center: Residents visit the center to learn about rent control, landlord and tenant rights and responsibilities, and affordable homeownership assistance options.

Housing counseling services DHCD-funded Community-Based Organizations (CBOs) provide counseling services and training to tenants, potential homeowners, and current homeowners.

Inclusionary zoning (IZ): Households interested in purchasing or leasing an IZ home must take certain steps in order to be eligible for the IZ lottery process and receive notifications.

Safe and healthy homes: Resources are available to help residents with home and roof repairs, accessibility upgrades, lead paint hazard remediation and aging in place.

DC Rental Assistance Program: https://coronavirus.dc.gov/page/dhcd-tenant-based-rental-assistance-program

Emergency Rental Assistance Program https://dhs.dc.gov/service/emergency-rental-assistance-program

These are programs that DC is providing to assist residents during the pandemic.  Have you looked into these to see if you would qualify for assistance?  See the program details at: https://coronavirus.dc.gov/rent

Housing Assistance – Short Term Help

Washington, DC

D.C. Shelter Hotline: Phone: (202) 399-7093  Toll Free: (800) 535-7252
District residents experiencing homelessness are encouraged to utilize emergency shelter. Shelters are operated by non-profit organizations under contract with the Department of Human Services. Shelters provide a warm and safe place to stay and offer additional supportive services and case management. Shelter capacity is expanded during the winter months for residents who are at risk of hypothermia.

Families may access emergency housing through the Virginia Williams Family Resource Center (VWFRC), the central intake office for all families in the District of Columbia seeking assistance with their housing needs. VWFRC is located at 920 Rhode Island Avenue, NE, Washington DC and is open Monday—Thursday from 8:30 am – 4 pm and Friday, 8:30 am – 12:00 pm. If you are a family with children under 18 and need emergency shelter, please call the Shelter Hotline at (202) 399-7093. The Shelter Hotline is available 24 hours a day.

This is a gate keeping and transportation service for District residents seeking homeless shelter services. UPO manages hourly totals of the number of shelter beds available for both singles and families. UPO operates hypothermia vans that respond to individuals and families in need of immediate shelter during the winter months.

Centro Maria: 650 Jackson Street NE, Washington, DC: 202-635-1697. For young women studying and/or working, affordable accommodations in a secure and friendly environment

Covenant House: 2001 Mississippi Avenue, SE  Washington, DC 20020  Phone: 202-399-7093 (available 24/7) or click here if you need emergency safe housing.
This structured living program is for homeless District residents between the ages of 18 to 21. The program is designed so that participants may live independently with stability. Mothers with infants or toddlers are accepted.

Hope and a Home: 1439 R Street, NW, Washington, DC 20009  Phone: (202) 387-7091
This program offers transitional housing for homeless families.

House of Ruth –  for single women experiencing domestic violence. House of Ruth provides housing and supportive services to women at residential programs located in Washington, DC.  To get help, call the intake line at 202-667-7001 ext. 320 or email:  intake@houseofruth.org

Latin American Youth Center (LAYC): 3031 Fifteenth Street, NW, Washington, DC 20009  Phone: (202) 319-2621
Emergency shelter provided for young men and women in foster care or who are homeless or in immediate danger of becoming homeless and seeking a transitional independent living program for young adults. Services are available to young adults regardless of cultural or ethnic background.

N St. Village – For single women 18 and over: 1333 N Street NW, Washington, DC: 202-939-2076. After 4pm: 202-387-5464

SOME (So Others Might Eat)  SOME provides transitional housing for single adults and families.  These programs offer clients a safe, supportive living environment where they can address the issues that led them to become homeless.  Office address:  71 ‘O’ Street, NW  Washington, DC  20001  Phone: 202.797.8806 web@some.org

The Prince George’s County Department of Social Services provides information, assistance and referrals to County residents who are facing homelessness or an eviction. If you need information about Section 8 and other County housing options, please call the Department of Housing & Community Development at 301-883-5501 or go to Housing & Community Development.

If you are facing eviction or foreclosure, you can call the Department of Social Services Homelessness Prevention Program at (301) 909-6362. This program provides: 

  • Screening of applicants to determine eligibility
  • Interviewing and assessment
  • Counseling, information and referral
  • Landlord and tenant mediation
  • Follow-up and linkages to other available resources
  • On-going community outreach and training through the Community Outreach Program (COP).

You may be eligible to receive financial help to pay your rent or mortgage if you are faced with a crisis that may result in an eviction, foreclosure or homelessness. You can also get help by calling the following organizations:

  • Catholic Charities in Forestville (301) 568-9529
  • Community Ministries, Seat Pleasant (301) 499-2319
  • Laurel Advocacy & Referral in Laurel (301) 776-0442
  • United Communities Against Poverty (UCAP) in Capitol Heights at (301) 322-5700.

Virginia Williams Family Resource Center – Primary referral office for shelter and housing assistance: 25 M Street SW, Washington, DC: 202-863-1370.