Domestic Violence Assistance

Domestic violence can occur among all ages, genders, races, educational backgrounds, and socioeconomic groups.  There is no typical victim. Help is available – here’s where to find  it.

Campus Resources

  • Ms. Annie Cosimano, Counselor Health and Wellness Center; Main Hall 461; 202-884-9612;
  • Ms. Cara White, Counselor Health and Wellness Cetner; Main Hall 461; 202-884-9616;
  • Jazmine Senn, Director of Health and Wellness Center; Main Hall 461; 202-884-9618;
  • Ms. Michele Bowie Dean of Student Services; Main 223; 202-884-9611;
  • Dr. Karen Gerlach Vice President for Student Affairs; Main Hall 228; 202-884-9203;
  • Department of Public Safety; Main Basement; 202-884-9111


National Domestic Violence Hotline: Reach NDVH at 1-800-799-7233 or online chat 24/7 for confidential help finding resources or to talk with someone about your relationship.

Network for Victim Recovery of DC (NVRDC)  202-724-1727

The Impact of Domestic Abuse on a Finances: 

Washington, DC

DC Coalition Against Violence 5 Thomas Circle, NW Washington, DC 20005:  (202) 299-1181 or

DC Rape Crisis Center: PO Box 34125, Washington, DC 20043: 202-232-0789. 24-hour hotline: 202-333-RAPE

Domestic Violence Intake Center: DC Superior Court Room 4235, 500 Indiana Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20001: 202-879-0152. Satellite Office: 1328 Southern Avenue SE, Suite 311 Washington, DC 20032: 202-561-3000

Mary’s Center
(202) 483-8196

Mary’s Center, founded in 1988, is a community health center that provides health care, family literacy, and social services to individuals whose needs too often go unmet by the public and private systems.

Mary’s Center uses a holistic, multipronged approach to help each participant access individualized services that set them on the path toward good health, stable families, and economic independence. The Center offers high-quality, professional care in a safe and trusting environment to residents from the entire DC metropolitan region, including individuals from nearly 50 countries, through 8 locations.

House of Ruth
5 Thomas Circle, NW
Washington, DC 20005
(202) 667-7001

House of Ruth helps women, children and families in greatest need and with very limited resources build safe, stable lives and achieve their highest potential. At House of Ruth, women, children and families heal from lifetimes of traumatic abuse.

If you are a victim of domestic violence and want counseling, call our Domestic Violence Support Center at 202-667-7001, ext. 515 to set up an initial conversation. Counseling services are free of charge and located in downtown Washington, DC, near several Metro and Bus routes.

If you are homeless or living in a transitional living program and need day care services, please contact Kidspace at 202-667-7001, ext. 223 or Kidspace provides a developmental day care program for children ages six weeks to five years old.

If you are a service provider seeking services for women, contact or call 202-667-7001 ext. 320.

My Sister’s Place
1436 U St NW, Ste 303
Washington, DC 20009
(202) 529-5261  or 24-Hour Hotline at 1-844-443-5732

My Sister’s Place is unique in offering a full continuum of care from emergency shelter through transitional-to-permanent housing.  They provide clinical counseling, case management, and comprehensive services to empower survivors to recover and thrive. MSP also provides training, case consultation, and advocacy to engage communities to prevent violence and abuse.

Ramona’s Way
1328 Southern Ave, SE, Suite 311
Washington, DC 20032
Hotline: (202) 257-7690

Counseling is available for any woman who is a survivor of domestic violence, needs help overcoming substance abuse issues, or is suffering abuse at the hands of someone who is abusing substances.

Counseling is by appointment only. Please call to schedule an appointment.


Maryland Network Against Domestic Violence

Montgomery County
Abused Persons Program  1301 Piccard Drive, 1st FL, Ste. 1400  Rockville, MD 20850
Hotline: 240-777-2272 or 800-752-0191
Office: 240-777-4210
TTY: 240-777-4850

House of Ruth Maryland (Legal Services)*
Office: 240-777-9077

Prince George’s County
Family Crisis Center of Prince George’s County, Inc. 3601 Taylor Street Brentwood, MD 20722
Office: 301-779-2100

House of Ruth Maryland (Legal and Counseling Services)*
Office: 240-450-3270


Alexandria Battered Women’s Shelter: 421 King Street Suite 400, Alexandria, Virginia, 22314

Doorways Battered Women’s Emergency Shelter and Safe House: PO Box 10085, Arlington, Virginia 22210: 703-237-0881

Fairfax Battered Women’s Shelter: 1850 Cameron Glen Road Suite 600, Reston, Virginia 20190: 703-435-4940

Getting an Order of Protection

Domestic Violence Intake Center: DC Superior Court Room 4235, 500 Indiana Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20001: 202-879-0152. Satellite Office: 1328 Southern Avenue SE, Suite 311 Washington, DC 20032: 202-561-3000

There are many steps you can take to protect your safety during or after an abusive relationship. You may wish to apply for a Civil Protection Order (CPO). If the judge agrees with your petition, a Temporary Protection Order (TPO) will be immediately issued. A TPO is valid up to 14 days and is used to allow time for the abuser to be served before the CPO hearing.  In emergency situations and outside normal court hours an Emergency Temporary Protection Order (ETPO) can be issued.  This order last for 5 days and must be initiated through a process between the police officer and an advocate from Survivors and Advocates for Empowerment (SAFE).

You may seek a protection order if the other person is a family member, roommate, someone with whom you had a dating relationship or a child in common.