happy grads

Application for Admission

Applying to Trinity is free, and Trinity reviews each application as soon as it is complete: you’ll get our decision right away.

Priority is given to applications received before February 1 for the fall semester and November 1 for the spring semester.

We’re here to help at 202-884-9400 or admissions@trinitydc.edu.

Use your given name – no nicknames please.

You’ll need your social security number or visa info.

Trinity’s application saves your work as you go, so if you need to stop to find a piece of information, you can pick back up where you left off.

Trinity participates in the Common App so you can apply in just a few clicks! There’s no fee and no additional questions – just add Trinity Washington University.

Readmission – Contact Your Advisor to Restart Your Studies!
If more than two years (1 year for graduate students) have elapsed since you successfully completed a semester at Trinity, or if you were dismissed from Trinity, please contact the Office of Admissions.

Non-Degree Applicants – please contact admissions to learn how to  up to take to 6 credits of coursework without seeking a Trinity degree.

U.S. citizens who have studied at foreign institutions: Submit official transcripts for a course-by-course evaluation by an agency accredited by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.

More about Applying or Transferring to Trinity!

College of Arts and Sciences

Official high school transcripts: Request your high school to send your official transcripts directly to:  Trinity Office of Admissions, 125 Michigan Ave NE, Washington, DC 20017

A letter of recommendation: You will upload this through our online application. Letters from family members are not accepted.

A personal statement/essay, which can be uploaded or written in the online application.

SAT and ACT Scores: Trinity does not require SAT or ACT scores. You are welcome to submit your scores if you would like Trinity to consider them as part of your application. Trinity’s SAT code is 5796; Trinity’s ACT code is 0696.

School of Nursing and Health Professions

Certain degree programs require the completion of specific prerequisite coursework, observation hours and/or specific exams that require pre-planning by applicants. All requirements and application materials must be completed for consideration. Certain degree programs offer admission only during specific times of the year.

Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) – Application Deadlines:
Spring semester: October 1
Fall semester: February 1

Master of Public Health (MPH) – Application Priority Deadlines:
Spring semester: October 1
Fall semester: February 1

Occupational Therapy Assistant  – Baccalaureate (OTA-B) – Application Priority Deadline:
Fall semester: February 1

Master of Occupational Therapy (MOT)
Application Deadline for Fall semester: February 1
MOT Admissions Process and Requirements

Counseling Program

Submit a 100-200 word writing sample:
Describe your experience working with people of diverse backgrounds, talents and needs?

Master of Science in Administration – Educational Administration Program

Provide official documentation of at least two years of K-12 classroom teaching experience.

Master of Arts in Teaching Program – Official Scores

Submit Praxis I or Praxis Core – Trinity’s code is RA5796. SAT, GRE and ACT scores from the past five years may be submitted to waive some of the requirements for Praxis Core. Trinity’s SAT & GRE code is 5796; Trinity’s ACT code is 0696.

Transferring Credits to Trinity: Please submit transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended. If you have earned fewer than 24 credit hours, also submit your high school transcripts.  Students applying to the School of Professional Studies who completed high school more than 10 years ago (with demonstrated work experience) may submit alternate evidence of high school completion, such as a high school diploma.

Transferring is a Big Decision!

At Trinity Washington University, you’ll develop academically, physically, mentally, and socially! No matter where you are in your academic journey, the Trinity DC team supports you through the transition, making the process as smooth as possible.

Generous Scholarships are Available

Transfer students who apply now and enroll in the College of Arts and Sciences may be awarded up to $15,000  through the Trinity Leadership Scholarship that renews every year you attend Trinity and remain in good standing.

Request Information


Trinity offers a quality education for a fraction of the costs when compared to other private institutions in the Washington, DC area. We’ll create a customized payment plan for your unique situation.


Trinity offers online classes you can take from anywhere, as well as classroom experiences at the our beautiful campus in Northeast Washington, DC, located minutes from the metro and historical monuments.


Gain the hands-on skills and experience that employers seek! Trinity offers learning opportunities outside of the classroom such as our study abroad program, summer research awards, internships.

Will My Credits Transfer?

Trinity accepts up to 75 transfer credits.

  Our flexible approach helps you transfer as many credits as possible  from other schools you may have attended.

Take advantage of our online transfer credit database below to get a jumpstart on determining which credits will transfer.

Why Choose Trinity?

Use Your Associate’s Degree Credits

If you already have your associate’s degree, you can seamlessly apply that credit to your new bachelor’s degree program without starting over.

We Work With You

Even if you don’t have your associate’s degree, we’ll help you get the most credits transferred so you can continue your education at Trinity Washington University.

Agreements with Local Community Colleges

The pathway to your bachelor’s degree is seamless when transferring credits from many local community colleges, including:

  • College of Southern Maryland
  • Howard Community College
  • Montgomery College
  • NOVA
  • Prince George’s Community College

To apply for admission to Trinity, international candidates must provide the following documentation:

  1. Complete the Trinity online application (no fee).  Your Trinity journey starts here!
  2. Transcripts:  Original or certified educational documents of high school transcripts and degree, university transcripts and mark sheets. All international applicants or students who are U.S. citizens who have obtained high school or college/university credit from an institution outside of the United States must submit official transcripts for a course-by-course evaluation by one of the agencies accredited by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).
  3. Recommendation Letters: International applicants must provide two letters of recommendation from a high school teacher, college professor or current employer.
  4. English Proficiency Standards: If English is not an official language in your country, you have not earned a college/university degree in the U.S., or you are not currently enrolled in a degree program in the U.S. you will need to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language or an International English Language Testing System  exam before you can be considered for final admissions. All English proficiency scores are valid for two years from the test date. Official test scores must be provided directly from the testing agency. TOEFL: Official results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language must be submitted directly to Trinity by ETS (Educational Testing Services). Trinity’s code is 5796, and a minimum score of 550 on paper-based test (PBT) or 213 on computer-based test (CBT) or 79 on Internet-based test (IBT) is required.  IELTS – Academic: A minimum6.5 total band score. is required.
  5. The Immigration Form I–20 needed to obtain the F-1/Student Visa will be issued only to applicants who: 1) Are admitted to Trinity. 2) Demonstrate sufficient funds to cover expenses for at least one academic year. Proof of financial responsibility, which includes an official bank statement for the first year of study, along with a letter of sponsorship from the Sponsor. Contact the International Student Adviser, Hanan Adnan, at adnanh@trinitydc.edu or (+1) 202-884-9141 for details regarding proof of financial responsibility. Note: All international students must pursue a full course of study (a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester for undergraduate students and 9 credit hours for graduate students). Failure to adhere to this USCIS requirement for F-1 students may jeopardize your legal non-immigrant status.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can international students who need an F-1 visa to attend full-time study in the United States get accepted to Trinity?

Certainly, Trinity Washington University is an inclusive environment and welcomes students from all over the world (as well as from our local community).  International applicants who need an F1-Visa to study full time in the U.S.A. may apply to Trinity for study but must keep in mind that additional steps are required to obtain the I-20 needed in order to apply for a student visa.  As a result, applying early is most helpful to provide ample time for students to obtain the I-20 and apply for a visa (i.e. applying 2-3 months prior to the start of classes is ideal).  International students requiring a student visa are not eligible for fully online degree programs.

Can international students on an F-1 visa receive institutional scholarships from Trinity?

In the College of Arts & Sciences and the School of Professional Studies undergraduate programs, full time international students on a student visa may compete for institutional merit-based scholarships at Trinity.  Students must apply completely for admission, and if admitted, merit-based scholarship awards are decided upon at the time of admission. Applicants don’t need to file an additional application to be considered for merit-based institutional awards from Trinity – your completed application will put you in the running for consideration.

Do I need to have my international transcript from previous high school or college evaluated to apply to Trinity?

Yes, any transcript used to apply for admission that is not from a U.S. based institution must be evaluated by a third party evaluation service.  Evaluations from any of the following providers are accepted: NACES | Credentials Evaluations Provided by NACES Members

Do I need to take an English Proficiency Test as an international student?

Yes, if any of the following are true, you will need to take an English Proficiency test and submit valid test scores to apply:

  • If English is not an official language in your country
  • If you have not earned a college/university degree in the U.S.
  • Or, if you are not currently enrolled in a degree program in the U.S.

Test of English as a Foreign Language or an International English Language Testing System  are required to apply to Trinity if any of the above are true. All English proficiency scores are valid for two years from the test date. Official test scores must be provided directly from the testing agency to Trinity Washington. TOEFL: Official results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language must be submitted directly to Trinity by ETS (Educational Testing Services). Trinity’s code is 5796, and a minimum score of 550 on paper-based test (PBT) or 213 on computer-based test (CBT) or 79 on Internet-based test (IBT) is required.  IELTS – Academic: A minimum 6.5 total band score. is required.

How large is the international population at Trinity?

Trinity Washington welcomes international students.  Currently, international students on a student visa represent an overall small yet mighty percent of the overall population at Trinity.  Representation of many cultures is prevalent at Trinity regardless of visa status. The overall population of international students at Trinity is growing also and this is welcomed.

What kind of support is there for international students?

International students enjoy all the privileges of student life at Trinity.  An international student association club has also been established to further support both undergraduate and graduate international students at Trinity Washington.

I would like to speak to an international student about their experience at Trinity before I enroll - can you connect me?

Yes, some of our international students have agreed to connect with prospective students to help answer general questions about their student experience.  To get connected, email Trinity Admissions at admissions@trinitydc.edu with your request to get connected with a current international undergraduate or graduate student (note: the international student may OR may not be from the same country as the applicant.  We can’t guarantee a direct match on Country of origin).

Does Trinity have an admissions recruiter responsible for international admissions?

Yes, Wanda Colon-Canales has many years of admissions experience and is committed to serving international students.  Email her at: colon-canalesw@trinitydc.edu.

Is there an International Student Advisor to answer my question regarding proof of financial responsibility for the I-20?

Yes, the International Student Advisor is: Hanan Adnan and can be reached at adnanh@trinitydc.edu or (+1) 202-884-9141 for details regarding proof of financial responsibility.

Is there a required orientation for International Students?

Yes, in addition to Trinity’s collegiate orientation, international students are required to attend international student orientation. International students accepted for admission to Trinity must “check-in” with the International Student Advisor immediately upon arrival to campus.  After admission, contact Hanan Adnan to schedule orientation (or learned the prescribed date of orientation): adnanh@trinitydc.edu or (+1) 202-884-9141.

Are International Students able to complete online degree programs?

International Students requiring a student visa to enroll are not eligible to participate in any fully online degree program at Trinity.  Visa requirements require international students maintain full-time enrollment and limit the number of online courses to no more than 1 online course per semester.

How do I make payments?

Review Your Payment Options Here

Students are responsible for arranging the payment of tuition and fees by the first day of class of each semester. The Office of Enrollment Services is prepared to assist students and their families in making installment payment plans.

All balances must be paid in full or satisfactory arrangements for future payment must be made before starting class each semester. Please contact the Office of Enrollment Services at (202) 884-9530 as early as possible to discuss tuition planning.

Can I defer?

Trinity admits students for a specific semester. If you wish to enroll for a semester later than that for which you are admitted, please contact your admissions recruiter to guide you through the process.  A deferral must be requested with your admissions recruiter for this to happen.

Is health Insurance required?

Yes, all international students are required to have health insurance. More information about health insurance via Trinity.

My F-1 Visa has been approved, when can I enter the US?

You may enter the US up to 30 days prior to the first day of the semester. We recommend that all students arrive to Trinity at least one week prior to the first day of the semester. This gives students time to check-in with the International Student Advisor and attend the orientation sessions.

What is an I-94 number?

Every nonimmigrant entering the U.S. on a sponsored visa (F, J, H, etc.) will have a Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record created by the Department of Homeland Security upon entry. This record confirms that you have been legally admitted to the U.S. in a specific visa status, and for a duration of time. For F visa holders, the amount of time is indicated by the notation “D/S,” which means you can be in the U.S. for the “Duration of Status” of your student or scholar program.

The I-94 record is created online; no document is issued on the spot. It is your responsibility to look up your I-94 record after entering the U.S. As soon as you arrive from international travel and have access to a computer, look up your I-94 record  to make sure there are no errors.

Is campus housing available for international students?

Does Trinity offer conditional admission for international students?

No, international students have to be fully admitted to Trinity in order to request an I-20.

Can I study part time?

No, international students cannot study part time. U.S. immigration law requires that all international students on F-1 student visas maintain full-time enrollment. To be considered full time, undergraduate students must be registered for a minimum of 12 credits. Graduate students must be registered for a minimum of 9 credits to be considered full time.

Can international students work on campus?

Yes, according to U.S. law, on-campus employment is the only legal employment for international students as long as they are maintaining their status.

How and when do I register for class?

Once you have submitted your DOI (Declaration of Intent), you will be connected with your academic advisor who will guide you through the registration process. You will register for classes once you have obtained an F1 visa.

Can all visa types attend Trinity?

In general, most visas allow for part-time/full-time study. Visa types that are prohibited by US immigration law from studying are B1 and B2. Trinity does not issue M-1 visas.  F-2’s may study part time.

Where can I find more information about student visas?

We encourage you to visit the U.S. Department of State website and also Study in the States for more information on the rules and regulations about student visas.

Can I bring my spouse/children to the US?

Yes. Your spouse and unmarried children under age 21 may join you in the US as F-2 dependents. Please inform the International Student Advisor about your dependent(s) and get the necessary information to obtain an F-2 I-20. Your dependent needs an I-20 to apply for an F-2 visa.

What is SEVIS and I-901 SEVIS fee?

SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) is the system used to create and update immigration records for F-1 Visa students. For more information, see Study in the States. The I-901 SEVIS Fee is mandated by Congress to support the program office and the automated system that keeps track of students and exchange visitors and ensures that they maintain their status while in the United States.

If you are issued a new I-20 with a new SEVIS number, you are required to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee.

For complete details and to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee visit the Student Exchange and Visitor Program website.

After paying, print a copy of your I-901 SEVIS fee receipt and keep it with your I-20.

How do I obtain an F-1 student visa?

You should apply for a visa at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country using the admission letter + I-20 form from Trinity, financial documents and I-901 SEVIS fee receipt. You must pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee. You can schedule a visa appointment up to 120 days in advance of your program start date. 

Since Trinity has sent me an official acceptance letter, is my F-1 visa guaranteed?

No, being accepted at Trinity does not guarantee your F-1 visa.

Do I need an affidavit of support/financial sponsor for F1 visa?

Yes, an affidavit of support is required as part of the student’s application package. It enables international F-1 Visa applicants to verify that they have the necessary financial means to support their education.  Verifying financial support with Trinity also prepares you for demonstrating to U.S. Embassy/Consulate officials that you can afford your education.

Can I sponsor myself?


Dreamer Scholarships

Trinity proudly welcomes Dreamers and encourages eligible students to apply to TheDream.US Scholarship program. The current round of scholarship applications opened on November 1. TheDream.US provides college scholarships to highly motivated Dreamers who seek a college education but cannot afford it; applicants must be DACA or TPS eligible and have applied for or received DACA or TPS approval. TheDream.US requires scholarship recipients to attend one of its partner institutions, and Trinity is the only partner university in Washington, D.C. Trinity is one of the first institutions to partner with TheDream.US when the program was launched in early 2014, and Trinity currently enrolls more than 100 Dreamer Scholars.

Start your TheDream.US application here and be sure to designate Trinity Washington University. TheDream.US offers two scholarships: The National Scholarship is for high school or community college graduates; the Opportunity Scholarship is for students who live in targeted, locked-out states where they cannot get in-state tuition. Your eligibility for both is based upon where you live. Review TheDream.US eligibility requirements and deadlines on TheDream.US site.

Making Dreams Come True

Trinity is honored to partner with TheDream.US, an important national movement that provides college scholarships to enable highly motivated, low-income Dreamers to earn college degrees. These scholarships make up the difference in the lost Pell grants and federal loans that Dreamers are not currently eligible to receive.

Five simple steps to apply to Trinity as a potential Dreamer Scholar:

  • Apply to Trinity if you have not already done so.
  • Apply for TheDream.US Scholarship.
  • You can use your TheDream.US application essay for your Trinity application.
  • Notify both Trinity Admissions and TheDream.US that you are applying to each.*
  • Notify Trinity Admissions if you are awarded TheDream.US Scholarship.*

* Notify Trinity Admissions Office by e-mail, admissions@trinitydc.edu or call, 202-884-9400.

“There’s no greater gift than the gift of a college education to lift the spirit, spark imagination and ensure prosperity. For Dreamers, however, these huge benefits too often remain a mere fantasy, a grave injustice because of short-sighted public policies on student financial aid. Dreamers Scholarships are a step forward in addressing a terrible injustice in our society….This Dreamers initiatives is also consistent with Catholic teachings on social justice and the dignity of human life.” Trinity President Patricia McGuire at the 2014 national press conference announcing the official launch of the Dreamers Scholarship program.

Read President McGuire’s blog post, “Dreaming of Justice,” about the launch of TheDream.US.

“My whole life changed when I came to Trinity”

Trinity Dreamer Sadhana Singh moved to the United States from Guyana, in South America, when she was 13. As a senior in high school in Monroe, Georgia, she knew that, as a Dreamer, “College was just not in the cards for me. I was raring to go, but I had to set my dream aside.”

When Singh heard about TheDream.US Scholarship program, she immediately applied and was accepted. She chose Trinity because “it is an excellent school, all women, and because I always wanted to go to college in the city. Trinity was the school that stood out for me.”

“My whole life changed when I came to Trinity,” says Singh. “Now I have this incredible opportunity. I don’t take this for granted – I am so grateful and so blessed. I have been given so much, and I want to give back – to Trinity, to my community.” She graduated from Trinity in May 2018 – and is now a program manager for TheDream.US.  Read more about Sadhana Singh and other Trinity Dreamers. Watch Sadhana Singh’s powerful TEDx talk on YouTube: “My Lives of Uncertainty.”

“I want to be the best, most productive American I can be.”

Meet Trinity Dreamer Scholar Bruna Distinto, who wrote a powerful essay published by Teen Vogue in January 2016 about an important Supreme Court case: “I used to be an undocumented teen immigrant until this new law changed my life. And how a new Supreme Court case could make me illegal again.” She writes: “There are few words that can fully describe the joy, relief, and appreciation I feel for the executive actions taken by President Obama on immigration. What he’s done for me and millions of other immigrants in the United States has literally changed our lives for the better. Without DACA, I would not be able to go to school or help my family.” Read her essay, published by Teen Vogue.