Accommodations for Standardized Tests
Students who are approved for testing accommodations in their academic courses are encouraged to seek similar accommodations when taking standardized tests for professional certification and postsecondary school admissions. Their academic advisor can assist them with determining whether they need and/or should take any of these tests for their field of study.
Standardized tests are administered by different companies who have their own separate guidelines for requesting testing accommodations. Some may require you to have information sent from Disability Support Services (DSS) while others may warrant entirely new disability documentation. As students, it is important to begin the approval process well in advance of your intended testing date. Below are links to accommodation webpages for some common standardized tests with information packets in PDF when available:
Educational Testing Services – Administers The Praxis Series for Teachers (PRAXIS)
National Council of State Boards of Nursing– Administers National Council Licensure Examinations for Nursing (NCLEX-RN/PN)
Testing accommodations for otherwise qualified candidates can be provided only with the authorization of your board of nursing/regulatory body (BON/RB).
• Request information from your BON/RB concerning its requirements for receiving testing accommodations. This should be
done before submitting your NCLEX registration to Pearson VUE.
• Make a written request for accommodations to your BON/RB. Your request must comply with requirements established by your BON/RB for candidates requesting testing accommodations.
• Send your request to your BON/RB as early as possible so that, if approved, the testing accommodations can be made in a
timely manner. Do not schedule an appointment to take the NCLEX until you have received written confirmation of your accommodations and your ATT email listing the granted accommodations. Candidates approved for testing with accommodations must schedule their testing appointment by calling Pearson VUE NCLEX Candidate Services at the telephone number listed on their ATT and asking for the NCLEX Accommodations Coordinator. Candidates with accommodations cannot cancel their accommodations at the time of their appointment. Candidates who seek to test with accommodations cannot schedule their appointments through the NCLEX Candidate website.
- Requirements for NCLEX accommodations vary by state. Contact your local Board of Nursing for details: DC, MD, VA
Educational Testing Services – Administers Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
Graduate Management Admissions Council – Administers Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT)
Law School Admission Council – Administers Law School Admission Test (LSAT)
Pearson Education – Administers Miller Analogies Test (MAT)
Association of American Medical Colleges – Administers Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT)
Assessment Technologies Institute– Administers Test of Essential Academic Skills for Healthcare (TEAS)
- TEAS accommodations are requested through DSS. Students must be already registered with DSS and approved for testing accommodations in their academic courses.