Frequently Asked Questions

Getting Started

How do I apply for Housing?

The campus housing application  can be completed beginning January 1st for Summer and Fall housing and beginning November 1st for Spring housing. Applications will be held as pending until the student is cleared by Enrollment Services for financial clearance for placement into campus housing. If you will be a new student at Trinity, you will need to have declared your intent to enroll with the Admissions Office prior to submitting your campus housing application, and must be cleared by Enrollment Services for placement.

Current Trinity students that live on-campus may participate in the Housing Selection Process process for Fall room selection in April each year; once they are cleared through Enrollment Services.

Trinity retains the right to assign and re-assign rooms when it is deemed necessary by the Office of Campus Housing.

When will I receive my housing assignment/roommate information?

Room assignment information packets are emailed out from mid-July through early August for the fall semester and between mid-December through early January for the spring semester. In order to receive a room assignment, you must complete your FAFSA (if applicable) and any other paperwork that Financial Aid has requested from you and register full-time for fall classes.

When is the move-in date?

Fall 2024

NEW first year and transfer resident students will move in on Saturday August 17, 2024 between 9am and 1pm.

Returning residents will move in on Saturday August 24, 2024.

Spring 2025

All residents will move in on Saturday January 18, 2025.  Check your Trinity email for your room assignment and move in information.

Roommate Information

Each student that completes the Campus Housing application receives the opportunity to communicate her preferences for a roommate or designate a specific person. This is used to match residents together so it is important that students take the time to answer all questions honestly and accurately. While we make an effort to match residents with similar answers together, there will be times when this will not be possible.  Please note that for Fall 2024 and Spring 20254, all new residents may receive a roommate depending on occupancy, while upperclassmen have an option to be placed with a roommate.

What if I don’t get along with my roommate?

The best way to get off on the right foot and minimize conflicts is to be positive, keep an open mind and understand great roommates DO NOT have to be best friends!

When placing residents together, we are looking to pair students who can maintain civility and respect based on some basic lifestyle similarities. After move-in, your Resident Coordinator (RC) will help you begin your living relationship with a guided discussion on what makes you and your roommate comfortable. After the discussion, you and your roommate will complete a roommate agreement that your RC will keep on file in case further discussion becomes necessary.

If we don’t get along, can I move?

If you find you are not getting along with your roommate, we ask that

  1. Communicate with your roommate in an effort to rectify the problem.
  2. If after that conversation, roommates cannot work their problems out, you should speak with your Resident Coordinator about mediation.
  3. If mediation is unsuccessful, you can discuss a possible room change with your Resident Coordinator. Room changes ARE NOT permitted before week 2 of the semester and must be officially approved by the Office of Campus Housing. An improper room change will be considered a violation of the Housing Agreement and disciplinary action may be taken.

Housing & Campus Resources

What type of meal plan do I have?

All students residing on campus must be enrolled on one of the University’s meal plans. Upper-class residents may change their choice of the meal plan until the add/drop period ends each semester. All first year students are required to be on one of the full 285 meals per semester meal plans during their first year.  Returning Residents can select their meal plan level from one of 6 options.

Can I request an exemption from the meal plan?

All on campus residents are required to participate in the meal plan as part of their Room and Board package.  We grant limited exceptions for verified medical or religious necessity. Documentation will be required in order to be considered. Religious Exemption must be presented in writing to Dean Meechie Bowie.  Medical Exemptions must be presented in writing to the Health Center Director for review.  All requests must be submitted by August 1, 2024, and finalized by August 26, 2024 for Fall semester; and submitted by January 10, 2025 and finalized by January 21, 2025 for Spring semester.

What’s in my room and residence hall? Will I have cable/internet?

All rooms have Wi-Fi access. Trinity does not offer cable to resident students, however, all residents have the ability to stream online content. In order to stream online content to your TV, your TV must be a Smart TV or support Streaming Media Players via HDMI. Depending on which TV or the streaming player you use, online services such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video or HBO Now might may be available for you. The tables below compare some of the most popular streaming devices and services currently on the market. For a comprehensive list of available channels, supported apps and features, consult with the manufacturer’s documentation for your Smart TV, Streaming Media Player or streaming service.

For more information about streaming, please visit the Technology Services webpage (click on the “For Resident Students” tab).

Where can I do my laundry?

Each residence hall has its own laundry facility. Machines costs $1.75 to wash a load of clothes and $1.50 to dry a load of clothes. Machines accept coins or card payment, instructions are located in each laundry room.  Our machines are not HE and we ask that students use liquid laundry detergent only.

What can I bring to furnish my room?

Please see: Furnishing Your Room for the most complete list

What size sheets should I bring?  Regular, Standard twin sheets.

Refrigeration: Residents are allowed to have one fridge per room and no more than 3.4 cubic feet in size. Kerby Hall residents may one mini fridge per room.

Storage: Unfortunately, there is no storage available at Trinity; however there are a number of storage facilities available in the DC area.

Pets: No pets of any kind are permitted in the residence halls.

Smoking: Trinity is a smoke-free environment. Smoking is prohibited in any building or elsewhere on campus.  After dark resident students who wish to smoke must do so in Lot 4 next to Cuvilly Hall, Lot 5 next to Kerby Hall, or off campus. Find the full No Smoking Policy on the Trinity policies web page.

What do I do in the event of an emergency?

Students should immediately call Public Safety at 202-884-9111 who will then contact the Campus Housing Staff person on-call to respond. In the event of a serious medical concern or accident, Public Safety will call an ambulance for immediate transport to an area hospital.

How do I get a letter to verify that I have lived on campus?

You need to complete the enrollment verification form and submit it to the Office of Enrollment Services. Be sure to check the box that says “Other” and then write “Verification of On-Campus Residency from DATE to DATE.”

Facilities questions


All residents are responsible for cleaning their own rooms. Housekeeping staff cleans hallways, common areas and community style bathrooms. HOWEVER, please bring cleaning supplies of your own in order to maintain dishes and typical upkeep and overall cleanliness. NOTE: Housekeeping IS NOT responsible for cleaning up after you. Please show respect for your community and govern yourself accordingly.

Items to remember: Please see Furnishing Your Room.

Pest Management

Residents are encouraged to:

  • Make sure all food is stored in plastic, metal, or glass containers or similar type of resealable, airtight container.
  • Wash any dishes before going to bed each night.
  • Place garbage in tightly covered trash cans.
  • Place the trash in large trash can located in the common areas on a daily basis.
  • Keep your room clean. Vacuum or sweep behind and underneath the furniture.
  • Recycle papers, containers, and cardboard rather than letting it pile up.
  • Report to the Campus Housing any leaking plumbing, dripping faucets, or other areas that will give pests access to water.
  • Report any holes around pipes, radiators, vents in the walls, in window screens, or missing window screens, which could be giving mice access to your space.
  • Keep clothing and linens in dressers, closets, or sealed plastic boxes or bags when not in use.
  • Keep floors and areas around walls free of clutter.
  • Keep exterior doors to residence halls closed.

Please report any pest-related and/or maintenance issues to the Office of Campus Housing by submitting an online service request or calling Campus Housing at (202) 884-9316 or DPS dispatch at (202) 884-9111 for the RD on Duty in the evening and weekends.

Bed Bugs

What if I suspect there are bed bugs in my room?  Notify a Campus Housing staff member immediately.  The Office of Campus Housing can be reached at (202) 884-9316 during the day or at (202) 884-9111 after 5:00pm.  Follow the instructions exactly and in a timely manner.  Review the Bed Bug FAQs for additional information.