How do I add images to my course page?
Each week or topic, including the top or “general” area, has a summary area. This is where information like your topic title or weekly goals could go. By default, the weekly topics display the date range for that week.
To add an image to a weekly or topic section summary, follow the steps below.
- Login to Moodle. Click on the course to which you wish to add the weekly text.
- In the upper right, next to the course name, click on the ‘edit’ gear wheel.
- From the drop-down menu, choose the ‘Turn editing on’ option.
- When you turn on the editing, you should see ‘Edit’ drop-down menus in the upper right corners of each section/week/topic. Click on the ‘Edit’ drop-down, and choose to edit the section/week/topic.
- You will be brought to the page where you can edit the week’s summary. This area with the buttons that are similar to Microsoft Word is the WYSWIG Editor. WYSIWYG stands for “What You See Is What You Get.” Here you can format your text to your liking without having to know HTML.
- Place your cursor in the text where you wish the image to go.
- Click on the ‘Add image’ icon in the WYSWIG editor. It looks like a photograph of a mountain.
- Click the ‘Browse repositories’ button in the pop-up.
- Click the ‘Upload a File’ option in the next window, and then click the “Browse” or “Choose File” button.
- In the pop-up window, navigate to the file of the picture on your computer. PLEASE NOTE: This means the file must be saved, in advance, to your computer. For assistance with this, check out the International Society for Technology in Education’s article, “Find Free and Fair Use Photos.”
When you find the image file on your computer, click on it and then click on the ‘Open’ button.
- Rename the file, if you want to, scroll down, and select this file.
- You will be returned to the ‘Image properties’ window. Fill in the “Describe this image for someone who cannot see it” field.
- Changing one of the size parameters will automatic resize the other field if you do not overwrite it!
- Click the ‘Save image’ button.
- Add the rest of your content. Scroll down and click the ‘Save changes’ button.
- You will be brought back to the main page for your course.
If you wish to add the image directly as a File Resource to the main course or simply as a picture there, not in other content spaces, follow the instructions for dragging-and-dropping a file on to the main course. When asked:
“What do you want to do with the file ‘nurs491_image11.jpg’?
- Add media to course page
- Create file resource”
You should select:
- ‘Add media to course page,’ if you wish the picture to display as an image on the main course page
- ‘Create file resource,’ if you wish the picture to be created as a link to a file