How do I submit Final Grades earlier for graduating students?
You may be asked to enter final grades earlier for a small number of graduating students taking your course. It is possible to submit final grades for these students, and then come back later and submit final grades for the rest of your course.
NOTE: It is not possible to change these final letters through Moodle once you have submitted grades through this interface. Therefore, you would not want to enter any “placeholder” grades which you planned to update later.
If you do, you will have to submit a paper grade change form to Enrollment Services to change the Final grade. Final grade changes cannot be accepted via email or over the phone. The “Request for Change of Grade” form can be found on the Enrollment Services website. It MUST contain a Dean’s signature before it is submitted Enrollment Services.
Note: you can click on any image to view a larger version of the image.
How to Submit Final Grades Early for Graduating Students
- Login to Moodle and click on the course for which you wish to submit the grades for the graduating students.
- You can reach the gradebook two ways from within your course.
- In the left column, the navigation ‘drawer’ with the purple background, the fourth link down should be ‘Grades.’ This will take you into the gradebook and onto the ‘Grader report’ page.
- On the main page for your course, click on the ‘Edit’ gear in the upper right, just to the right of the title of course to bring down an administration drop-down menu. The fourth item down is ‘Gradebook setup’ and this will take you into the gradebook and onto the ‘Gradebook setup’ page.
- Enter your gradebook.
- Once you are in the gradebook, click on the drop-down navigation menu. Choose the the “Mid-Term/Final Grade Entry” option.
- On the “Mid-Term/Final Grade Entry” screen, you simply assign each graduating student the appropriate letter grade from the drop-down menu in the corresponding column, while not assigning anything for the other students:
- When you are done assigning grades, carefully review your grades. REMEMBER: you cannot make changes online to those students’ grades once they have been submitted.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click the “Save Final Grades” button.
- You have now submitted your grades for those selected students. You will see a confirmation message at the top of the screen:
- You will still see drop-down options for the other students, but the final grades for these submitted students will no longer be editable:
- NOTE: The Final letter grades will only be visible to your students in Self-Service, after the daily sync (~around 4:30AM). If your students are having issues locating their Final grades, please refer them to the student FAQ: How do I view my final (or mid-term) grade for a course?