How do I view my Moodle pages as if I were a student? [Moodle version 3.2]
As a faculty member, you have the ability to temporarily switch your ‘role’ so that your view of your course is that of a student’s view. This is especially helpful, if you want to verify if certain items are hidden or visible to students.
To switch your role to that of students, follow these steps below.
Note: you can click on any image to view a larger version of the image.
- Login to Moodle and click on the course you wish to view.
- Verify which items you believe are currently hidden from students. These are grayed out, usually.
- From the main page of your course, click on the drop-down menu by your name & profile picture in the upper right corner of the page.
- From the drop-down menu which appears click on the “Switch role to…” option at the bottom.
- Select ‘Student’ as the role you wish to switch to.
- You will be returned to the main page of your course, and you will now be viewing it as a student. For the entire hidden weeks or topics, the students see a message that it is not available. For individual hidden activities or resources, such as the PowerPoint file hidden in this week, the students see no indications of its existence.
When you are ready, you can return back to your normal teacher role, by clicking on the drop-down menu by your name & profile picture in the upper right corner of the page, and selecting the ‘Return to my normal role’ option.