How do I move items around in my gradebook? [Moodle version 3.4]
By default, new grade items (manual or from an activity) appear at the bottom of your gradebook on the ‘Gradebook setup’ page. You do not have to leave them in that default order; you can move these items to where you want them to be in your gradebook.
There are two ways you can move items in the gradebook: between categories or changing the placement by choice. If you do not have at least one gradebook category, you will not be able to use the bulk, between categories option.
To move items around your gradebook, one at a time, follow these steps.
Note: you can click on any image to view a larger version of the image.
- Login to Moodle and enter the course in which you wish to set-up the gradebook.
- In the upper right corner of the main page, click on the black gearwheel.
- From the drop-down menu that appears, select the “Gradebook setup” option.
- From the “Gradebook setup” page, locate the item in the gradebook that you wish to move.
- Click on the move icon, just to the left of the item name. (Unfortunately, the Moodle gradebook does not currently allow you to drag and drop the items in it.)
- Then identify the location to which you wish the item to be moved. The spaces available are indicated by boxes.
- When you hover over the box you want, the background will turn purple and a pop-up message say, ‘Move to here.’ Click on the dotted box-like item in that location to move your item.
- The page will reload and your item will now be in the location you selected.
If you wish to move one or more items in and out of categories, you can use a slightly different approach.
- On the ‘Gradebook setup’ page, locate the ‘Select’ column.
- Check the box in the ‘Select’ column for any item that you wish to move.
- Look in the bottom left for the drop-down menu titled ‘Move selected items to.’
- From the drop-down menu, select the name of the category into which you wish to move the items. NOTE: if you wish to move the items out of a category and back into the main grade book, you would select the option that is the course name.
- The page will reload and your items will be in the category you chose (likely at the top of the category). If you want the item in a different place in the category, use the first click-and-choose approach on this page.
If you need to delete a manual grade item, follow the steps ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE VERIFIED THAT THERE ARE NO GRADES IN THE ITEM YOU ARE DELETING. Once you delete a manual item, you cannot get back the grades that were assigned to that item.
NOTE: If you need to remove an activity, such as attendance,a quiz, or an assignment activity, you must do that from the main page (to delete it entirely) or from within the activity’s settings (to keep activity but make it worth no points).
To delete a manual grade item, follow these steps:
- On the ‘Gradebook setup’ page, locate the ‘Actions’ column.
- Click on the ‘Edit’ drop-down menu for the item you wish to delete.
- Choose the ‘Delete’ option.
- Moodle will ask you to double-check and verify that you wish to delete the manual grade item. Choose ‘Yes’ if you are sure that you have no grades in the item.
- The ‘Gradebook setup’ page will reload and the deleted grade item will no longer be present.