Student Guide to Testing Services
- Hours of Operation
- General Information
- Procedures: Information provided by your professor
- Procedures: Trinity’s Honor Code
- Retrieval of Academic Tests
- Student Exam Appointment Request Form
- Special Testing Accommodations (for students with disabilities)
Students may take make-up, re-take, and special-circumstances tests in the Academic Services Center in 103 Library. You may take advantage of our services if you miss a mid-term, final, or other important test during the course of the semester if permitted by your professor/instructor. When you have a scheduled exam with Testing Services arrive early to take your test and present your Trinity photo identification when requested.
The staff in Academic Services cannot accept homework assignments or special projects; check the professor’s policies for details about submitting your assignments.
The office of Academic Services is open from 9:00 am – 7:00 pm, Monday – Friday. The use of Testing Services is by appointment only.
- Contact your professor to obtain permission to take your exam in the library. Academic/Testing Services is not responsible for giving students permission to take an exam. It is also the student’s responsibility to confirm that the professor has sent the exam to Testing Services.
- Complete the Student Exam Appointment Request online. Students should list 3 different times they are available to take the test. When possible, list more than one day for availability to take the exam. Be sure to allow enough time for the request to be processed; it is recommended that you submit your form 2 business days prior to the requested exam date.
- When Testing Services receives the request, the staff will attempt to honor the first request so list the appointment times in rank order; i.e. the first appointment on the list should be the student’s first preference.
- Testing Services will send an email to confirm the appointment date and time along with other instructions to follow before the exam. If Testing Services is unable to schedule an appointment for one of the times listed, the staff will contact the student to arrange an alternate date/time.
- Following the exam, staff will return the completed work to the professor who will provide any feedback including grading, etc.
- The staff administering the exam will adhere strictly to the professor’s written instructions. This includes deadlines for scheduling, tools and aids allowed (not allowed) during the exam, etc. Staff cannot administer tests on unauthorized days, allow the use of unauthorized aids, or grant extra testing time unless specified by the professor.
- It is the students’ responsibility to contact the professor to ask any questions regarding the test(s) they will be taking with Testing Services, e.g., the dates they may take the test, the amount of time allowed, and/or aids (notes, textbook, scratch paper, calculator, dictionary, etc.,) the student should bring. Students unable to reach their professor may contact Testing Services for assistance.
- It is the student’s responsibility to contact the professor for permission to take an exam/test/quiz in the library. Testing Services and the professor have the right to refuse exams for students who did not follow correct procedures.
- Testing Services will tentatively confirm appointments for students who request appointments, but the professor/instructor has not submitted an exam request form.
Testing Services will maintain the strictest security and confidentiality of your records. Following the test, the staff will collect the test materials and return them directly to the professor/instructor based on the agreement made with her/him. Students should follow up with the professor following the exam for feedback and additional information.
DSS Testing Accommodations
Students with documented disabilities and special testing accommodations (i.e. extended time or a quiet location) must arrange to take their exams with Disability Support Services (DSS). They work with students who have testing accommodations to ensure that they are provided their accommodations for class assessment. DSS requires that any student who wishes to take a test with DSS submit a test request at least five (5) business days in advance of the originally scheduled test date. DSS cannot change the parameters of any test or exam, but can work with the student and professor if there are extenuating circumstances related to test scheduling, modality, and/or other related matters.
Please note: If you have documented disabilities, arrange to have your exams administered by Disability Services (202-884-9358).