How do I create a folder of resources?
As an instructor, you may have a set of files you would like to place together in a folder on Moodle. To do this, you can create a Folder resource.
- Login to Moodle and click on the course to which you wish to add the Folder resource.
- On the main page for your course, click on the ‘Edit’ gear in the upper right, just to the right of the title of course to bring down an administration drop-down menu.
- Click on the second item down, the “Turn editing on” link to turn on your editing capabilities.
- Once editing is on, click the “+Add an activity or resource” link in the topic or week to which you wish to add the folder of files.
- This will pop up a window with a list of all the possible activities and resources you can add. The activities are listed first. Scroll down to see the resources. From the “Resources” section list, select the “Folder” option. Once “Folder” is selected, you’ll notice that the right-hand column populates a description of the resource (or activity).
- Click the “Add” button at the bottom, once “Folder” is selected.
Note: You can also simply double-click the “Folder” resource option to ‘add’ it.
- Complete the “Name” and, if applicable, “Description” fields for your folder.
- Scroll down to the “Select files” area. You can either drag-and-drop multiple files at one time into the content area or click the “Add” button to add the files one by one.
- To add the files one at a time, click the “Add” button in the upper left corner of the section. (It looks like a piece of paper with a plus sign.)
- From the “File Picker” pop-up window, you can either “Upload a New File” or see your previous files by choosing the “Server Files” option. Click the “Upload a File” option, and then click the “Browse” or “Choose File” button.
- In the pop-up window, navigate to the file on your computer. When you find the file, click on it and then click on the “Open” button.
- Rename the file, if you want to, by changing the name in the “Save As” box. When you are ready, click the “Upload this File” button.
- This will bring you back to your “Adding a New Folder” screen, and you will see your file listed in the “Select files” area. There will be an icon image matching the file type, if Moodle recognizes the file type.
- To drag-and-drop, simply open a file browser on your computer. Select the files you wish to move into the folder. You select multiple files at one time by holding the “Ctrl” key on Windows computers or the “Cmd” key on Macs.
- Pull over the selected files into the dotted area and release.
- You can repeat the “Add” process or the drag-and-drop process as necessary.
- You can select whether you would like the files in the folder to appear only on a separate page or inline on the main course page.
- Adjust any of the other settings as you wish, or leave them at their defaults. (To adjust them, you will need to expand the various sections.)
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page. Click the “Save and Return to Course” or “Save and Display” button.
- Your Folder resource will now be displayed on your Moodle Page.
- If you have chosen the “Display folder contents” option of “On a separate page,” this is how the folder will appear:
- If you have chosen the “Display folder contents” option of “Inline on a course page,” this is how the folder will appear: