How do I allow a single student a second attempt on a quiz?
Moodle allows for individual user overrides and group overrides for quizzes. These overrides can be used to allow a different number of quiz attempts, as well as a different open/close date/time windows and a different time limit.
Note: if you do not alter one or more of these settings, the settings will remain at the original quiz defaults. For example, if the quiz is closed to all students because the quiz’s original close date/time has passed and you do not adjust the override’s close date/time, even if you give a specific student a second attempt, they will not be able to access the quiz.
If you want the student’s second attempt to be a continuation of the first (for instance, to provide the student 15 more minutes to finish the midterm, because the student lost internet connection at the very end of the 100-question test), you will need to change some overall Quiz Settings before you can accurately enter the override. Explore this FAQ for the instructions!
To an add a user override to your existing quiz:
Note: you can click on any image to view a larger version of the image.
- Log on to Moodle and click on your course.
- Click on your quiz on the course homepage.
- From the quiz landing page, look in the upper right corner of the center section of the quiz page for the black ‘edit’ gear wheel. Click on the gear wheel.
- From the drop-down menu that appears, click the ‘User overrides’ option.
- On the next screen, click on the “Add user override” button.
- Then on the “Edit override” page, select the student’s name for the “Override user” section. (You can search or select from the from the “Search” drop-down.)
- You can adjust the following settings:
- Require password – Require the individual with the override to enter a password to complete the quiz.
- Open the quiz & Close the quiz – Adjust the open and close date/time windows. Don’t forget to check to “Enable” button so that you can adjust these settings.
- Time limit – Change the time limit. Don’t forget to check to “Enable” button so that you can adjust this setting.
- Attempts allowed – Allow more (or less) attempts than the quiz defaults.Scroll down and adjust the necessary settings.
- For a second attempt, you would change the “Attempts allowed” to “2.” Don’t forget to double-check that the “Close the quiz” date/time has not already passed or you will need to adjust this setting as well.
- When you are done, click either the “Save” or “Save and enter another override” buttons.