How do I add a file resource to my Moodle page?
A file resource is a file that you, as an instructor, upload to your Moodle site so that students may view and download it. File resources can be in most any file format/extension, including .pdf, .docx, .pptx, .xlsx, .mp3, .jpg, and many more! If you run into one that Moodle does not support, please let Moodle Support know.
In addition to this step-by-step, you can also view the FAQ, “How do I drag-and-drop a file resource on to my Moodle page?” for instructions on another method of adding file resources to Moodle.
- Login to Moodle and click on the course to which you wish to add the file resource.
- On the main page for your course to the right of the title of course, click purple “Turn editing on” button to turn on your editing capabilities.
- Once editing is on, click the “+Add an activity or resource” link in the top section of your course.
- This will pop up a window with a list of all the possible activities and resources you can add.
- Click the “File” option.
- Complete the “Name” and, if applicable, Description fields for your file.
- Scroll down to the “Select files” area. You can either drag-and-drop the file in the content area or click the “Add” button (circled in the image above) to manually locate the file on your computer. The “Add” button looks like a piece of paper with a plus sign.
- From the “File Picker” pop-up window, you can either “Upload a New File” or see your previous files by choosing the “Server Files” option. Click the “Upload a File” option, and then click the “Browse” or “Choose File” button.
- In the pop-up window, navigate to the file on your computer. When you find the file, click on it and then click on the “Open” button.
- Rename the file, if you want to, by changing the name in the “Save As” box. When you are ready, click the “Upload this File” button.
- This will bring you back to your “Adding a New File” screen, and you will see your file listed in the “Select files” area. There will be an icon image matching the file type, if Moodle recognizes the file type.
- Adjust any of the other settings as you wish, or leave them at their defaults. (To adjust them, you will need to expand the various sections.)
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page. Click the “Save and Return to Course” or “Save and Display” button.
- Your files will now be displayed on your Moodle Page.