Policy: Emergency and Weather Communications
In the event of a weather event, power outage or other emergency that impacts the operation of our campus, Trinity will broadcast information to the campus community in all of the following ways:
1. Text Alerts
Text “trinitydcalerts” to 866-925-2949 on your cell phone and you will get instant alerts about Trinity’s status and directions in emergencies.
2. Weather Hotline and Emergency Information Telephone Number: 202-884-9009
In bad weather or any other situation that may require Trinity to cancel classes or otherwise alter operations, Trinity posts a message on the Emergency Information Telephone Number: 202-884-9009.
For snow or other weather closings, Trinity makes every effort to make the appropriate determination by 6:00 a.m. if the weather occurs overnight. Trinity also communicates with all Washington area radio and television stations so that Trinity’s status can be broadcast and listed with other schools. (Please note, however, that if Trinity is open, the broadcast media will NOT announce that fact.)
Students, faculty, staff and any other persons who want to find out Trinity’s status or learn more information in an emergency should call 202-884-9009.
2. Voicemail, Email and Website Emergency Communications
In an emergency, Trinity also uses several other mass communications methods and students, faculty and staff are urged to check these sources for information:
- Trinity broadcasts a voicemail message to all campus voicemailboxes when an emergency arises that requires altering class and work schedules; in an emergency, call your voicemailbox to get additional information about Trinity’s status or how to proceed…. if you need a reminder about how to call your voicemail from off campus, please ask your supervisor.
- Trinity also sends a general email to all campus email addresses if a serious situation requires extensive directions that cannot be explained in a brief voicemail message;
- For any extended emergency situation, Trinity also creates a link on the website www.trinitydc.edu and urges, students, faculty, staff, alumnae, parents and others to visit the site regularly for updates.
3. Campus Locater Help for Families and Friends
When an emergency situation happens on campus or in the city of Washington, families and friends often become anxious about the safety of their relatives and friends at Trinity.
We ask all students, faculty and staff to develop an emergency contact plan with your families and friends, and please share the following information with them.
If an emergency takes place on campus or in the city of Washington, we urge every person on campus to contact your families and friends as quickly as possible to assure them of your safety. Depending upon the nature of the emergency, Trinity will make as many telephone lines and email access points available for this purpose as may be possible.
In these days of concern for national security, and with the security level high in Washington, we ask our students, in particular, to take extra steps to be sure that someone knows your whereabouts at all times. Please leave a message with a roommate or friend in the residence hall if you are leaving campus, especially for an extended period of time. If you commute to campus, please let a friend or co-worker know if you have a change of plans when you are supposed to be in class. Frequent communication of your plans is definitely a stress-reducer in emergencies.
Families and friends who are attempting to locate someone on Trinity’s campus may call these numbers
- Students: 202-884-9530 Office of Enrollment Services
- Students: 202-884-9611 Office of the Dean of Students
- Staff: 202-884-9120 Office of Human Resources
- Faculty: 202-884-9220 Academic Affairs
- Conference Guests: 202-884-9136 Conference Office
For other information about Trinity’s Emergency Response Plan, please visit that page on our website by clicking here: Emergency Response Plan