Dr. Patrice Nielson
Assistant Professor of Environmental Studies
- B.S., Biology, Brigham Young University-Idaho
- M.S., Wildlife and Wildlands Conservation, Brigham Young University
- Ph.D., Environmental Science, University of Maryland, College Park
- Wetland Ecology
- Urban Ecology
- Ecosystem Services
- Science Education
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, University of Maryland Chapter, 16
- Dean's Fellowship, University of Maryland, 13
- Faculty Excellence Recognition Award, BYU-Idaho, 12
My teaching philosophy focuses on student success. It is centered on four core values:
1. Engage students in course material by maintaining an active classroom guided by students questions, real-life application, and research-based learning.
2. Empower students with personal and professional growth by reinforcing study and life skills.
3. Develop and apply critical thinking and analysis skills by evaluating strengths and weaknesses of information and making broader connections between topics.
4. Encourage development of a classroom community by getting to know students and encouraging them to help each other.
My hope is that students leave the classroom not just with more knowledge, but also inspired and enriched to foster lifelong learning and global citizenship.