Housing Assistance and Shelters

Washington, DC

Housing Counseling Services: Department of Housing and Community Development.  To participate or obtain further information on Housing Counseling Services, please contact one of our participating Community Based Organizations:

Areas of Interest:

Office Hours for DHCD – Monday to Friday, 8:15 am to 4:45 pm; Resource Center – Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 3:30 pm

Connect With Us: 1800 Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue, SE, Washington, DC 20020
Phone: (202) 442-7200; Fax: (202) 645-6727; TTY: 711; Email: dhcd@dc.gov

D.C. Shelter Hotline:  1-800-535-7252

Centro Maria: 650 Jackson Street NE, Washington, DC: 202-635-1697. For young women studying and/or working, affordable accommodations in a secure and friendly environment

DC Emergency Shelter Hotline, United Planning Organization (UPO): Phone: (202) 399-7093  Toll Free: (800) 535-7252
This is a gate keeping and transportation service for District residents seeking homeless shelter services. UPO manages hourly totals of the number of shelter beds available for both singles and families. UPO operates hypothermia vans that respond to individuals and families in need of immediate shelter during the winter months.

House of Ruth – Madison Emergency Shelter –  for single women experiencing domestic violence: 651 10th Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20002: 202-547-2600. For families: 202-347-2777

N St. Village – For single women 18 and over: 1333 N Street NW, Washington, DC: 202-939-2076. After 4pm: 202-387-5464

SOME (So Others Might Eat)  SOME provides transitional housing for single adults and families.  These programs offer clients a safe, supportive living environment where they can address the issues that led them to become homeless.  Office address:  71 ‘O’ Street, NW  Washington, DC  20001  Phone: 202.797.8806 web@some.org

The Prince George’s County Department of Social Services provides information, assistance and referrals to County residents who are facing homelessness or an eviction. If you need information about Section 8 and other County housing options, please call the Department of Housing & Community Development at 301-883-5501 or go to Housing & Community Development.

If you are facing eviction or foreclosure, you can call the Department of Social Services Homelessness Prevention Program at (301) 909-6362. This program provides: 

  • Screening of applicants to determine eligibility
  • Interviewing and assessment
  • Counseling, information and referral
  • Landlord and tenant mediation
  • Follow-up and linkages to other available resources
  • On-going community outreach and training through the Community Outreach Program (COP).

You may be eligible to receive financial help to pay your rent or mortgage if you are faced with a crisis that may result in an eviction, foreclosure or homelessness. You can also get help by calling the following organizations:

  • Catholic Charities in Forestville (301) 568-9529
  • Community Ministries, Seat Pleasant (301) 499-2319
  • Laurel Advocacy & Referral in Laurel (301) 776-0442
  • United Communities Against Poverty (UCAP) in Capitol Heights at (301) 322-5700.

Virginia Williams Family Resource Center – Primary referral office for shelter and housing assistance: 25 M Street SW, Washington, DC: 202-863-1370.