How do I track the completion of activities and resources in my course?
Moodle allows you to track the completion of the activities and resources you have created in Moodle. To do this, you would:
Turn on ‘Completion tracking’
- Login to your course in Moodle.
- In the upper right corner of your course, click on the gray “edit” gear wheel.
- From the drop-down menu that appears, click on the “Edit settings” option.
- On the ‘Edit Settings’ page, expand the ‘Completion tracking’ section of the screen.
- Change the value of ‘Enable completion tracking’ to ‘Yes.’
- Scroll down and save your changes.
Update the settings for the existing activities and resources
- Back on the main page of your course, turn on the editing by clicking the ‘Turn editing on’ option in that same drop-down menu in the upper right corner.
- Click on the ‘Edit’ drop-down menu for the item in question. Choose the ‘Edit settings’ link.
- Scroll down and expand the ‘Activity completion’ section.
- Change the ‘Completion tracking’ value to ‘Show activity as complete when conditions are met.’
- Then make sure to check the box next to the conditions that you would like to have. In the example below, there is only one condition, ‘Students must view this activity to complete it.’ This will be the same for most resources and a few activities. Other activities may have more possible conditions.
- EXAMPLE: Assignment Activity Conditions
- EXAMPLE: Forum Activity Conditions
- EXAMPLE: Quiz Activity Conditions
- EXAMPLE: Feedback Activity Conditions
- When you have chosen your conditions, save your work.
Include completion settings for all new activities and resources
When you are creating new activities or resources moving forward, make sure you update the ‘Activity completion’ section.
Check the Completion Report
- You can view the report regarding the activity and resource completion by clicking on the gray ‘edit’ gear wheel in the upper right corner of the main course page.
- Scroll down tot he bottom of the drop-down menu that appears. Click the ‘More…’ option.
- On the next page, click on the ‘Reports’ tab. Click on the report titled ‘Activity completion.’
- On the ‘Activity Completion’ page, you can view all your students or select specific students by choosing a specific letter for the first or last name.
- Locate the activity for which you wished to view the completion. Any student who has completed it will have a checkmark in that column.
- You can export the data in one of the formats listed at the bottom of the page, if you would like to keep a record of the completion status at a certain point in time.
Student View of Activity Completion
- When a student sees an activity that has completion tracking on it, they will see an empty dotted gray box to the right of the activity name.
- Once the student has met the conditions for the activity to be marked completed, a checkmark will appear in the box: