How do I weight items in my gradebook?
To assign different weights to various items, assignments or grade categories in Moodle, your course’s gradebook aggregation must be set to ‘Weighted Mean of Grades.’
By default, the Moodle gradebook aggregation (the way it adds your grade values) is ‘Simple Weighted Mean of Grades.’ This is points-based, and does not allow you to weight categories or items so you must first change the aggregation and then you will be able to enter the weights.
Here is the link to a specific Frequently Asked Questions about changing your gradebook aggregation:
- How do I change my gradebook aggregation to ‘Weighted Mean of Grades?’ [text with screenshots]
Once you have the correct aggregation in your gradebook, you can add weights to items as you add them to your course.
- From the main page of your course, click on the ‘Edit’ gearwheel in the upper right corner.
- From the drop-down menu which appears, click on the ‘Gradebook setup’ option.
- On the ‘Gradebook setup’ page, you will see a ‘Weights’ column.
- Place the weights in the appropriate boxes, and click the “Save changes” button underneath the gradebook.
You can learn more about the Moodle gradebook in the Moodle resource course, Moodle Gradebook for Faculty. If you are a faculty member, login to Moodle and you will be able to locate it in your “My Courses” block/lists.