Why won’t my file picker or file browser load? [Moodle version 3.2]
To fix this issue, try these troubleshooting steps.
- First, verify that your browser currently allow pop-ups from Trinity’s Moodle site. If pop-ups are not allowed, follow these steps to allow them.
- Clear the temporary files/cookies from your browser to return it to optimal form. Follow the steps below.
NOTE: If these steps fail to fix your browser, try another browser, as well as another computer at a different location. If the file picker still fails to start, please contact the Moodle Help Desk with the details of which computers and browsers you have tried, as well as any error messages you have received.
Note: you can click on any image to view a larger version of the image.
Clearing Temporary Files/Cookies
On campus, the default browser is currently Internet Explorer. If you are using a different browser, let me know and I can provide steps for that browser!
- Open Internet Explorer. If it is already open, log out of Moodle.
- In the upper right corner, locate the set of three icons: a house (IE Homepage), a star (IE Favorites), and a gear (IE tools).
- Click on the “gear” to bring up IE’s tools:
- From the list of Tools, choose the “Internet Options” link near the bottom:
- The “Internet Options” will open in a pop-up window. You will be located in the “General” tab of the “Internet Options” window. Look to the middle of the “General” screen and find the area labeled “Browsing History.” Click on the “Delete” button in that area.
- On the next screen you have two options.
- OPTION #1 – Leave the default boxes “as is” (leave checked boxes checked and unchecked boxes unchecked). Click the “Delete” button at the bottom of the screen. THIS WILL DELETE ANY SAVED PASSWORDS — use option #2 to save your passwords.
- OPTION #2 – If you have saved Moodle as one of your browser’s favorites, you will want to uncheck the first box so that IE clears any Moodle-related files and cookies as well. Once the box next to “Preserve Favorites website data” is unchecked, scroll down to the bottom and click the “Delete” button.
- Either option will bring you back to the “General” tab in the “Internet Options” pop-up box while IE thinks through the deleting process. Depending on the number of files and cookies you may have, this could take upwards of a couple of minutes. You will know the browser is done, because you will receive a notification at the bottom of the screen. When it shows up, you can click the “OK” button to return to your browser.
- Now you can log back into to Moodle and try uploading again.