Student Success Advisor
Student Success Advisor
Trinity Washington University, a comprehensive university in the nation’s capital, seeks enthusiastic student support professionals to provide holistic and inclusive student support services in the university’s new Center for Student Success. The purpose of the Center is to improve student enrollment, persistence, and completion through a unified, systematic advising and academic success program across the university that includes the effective use of Trinity’s Starfish platform, data-analytics, and other student success tools.
Student Success Advisors are part of a team focused on ensuring student success at Trinity through close and continuous attention to student academic performance and co-curricular needs, personal challenges, and professional ambitions. Advisors must possess superior interpersonal talents, a deep interest in the well-being and progress of students through college, knowledge of contemporary research, and best practices that encourage student success particularly among a population of students who may have thought higher education was out of reach.
Reporting to the Director of the Center for Student Success, and working closely with the VP for Enrollment Services, VP for Student Affairs, Financial Aid Advisors, Admissions staff, and Learning Support Services, Student Success Advisors are crossed trained to support students in any unit but are assigned a caseload within one population; they engage in intensive outreach to students assigned to them to provide wrap around holistic support.
- Provide individualized attention to each student to enhance their retention and success.
- Provide academic counseling to ensure students follow their academic plans.
- Provide first-level career counseling support.
- Support students to apply for financial aid and make payment plans.
- Maintain accurate and detailed student records.
- Work closely with other on-campus resources and facilitate students’ connection to both on and off-campus resources as needed.
- Work as a team to create resources for academic success and to stay current in best practices in advising.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills are essential
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to take a holistic case-management approach.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Current knowledge of best practices in advising.
- Well-developed academic counseling techniques
- Strong record management skills
- High degree of organization and ability to follow through on tasks
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree preferred
- At least two years of experience working in a related student-support role.
- Advisors must be able to work efficiently with many interruptions from walk-ins, telephone inquiries and other student requests.