Director of Residence Life
Trinity Washington University, a comprehensive institution that offers a broad range of educational programs that prepare students across the lifespan for the intellectual, ethical and spiritual dimensions of contemporary work, civic and family life, seeks a Director of Residence Life.
POSITION OVERVIEW: Student Affairs: Campus Housing supports the mission of Trinity Washington University by ensuring an excellent, safe and productive learning environment for Trinity residential students. Trinity’s residence halls are single-gendered, female, and house approximately 300 undergraduate students. The Director of Residence Life is an experienced, full time live-on professional staff member who is responsible for the leadership of the residential life program; including administration, programming, policies, communication, services, and staffing. The mission of the office is to provide a living learning environment that supports students and their development, the mission of Trinity and Student Affairs. The director will coordinate all facets of a comprehensive residence life program and will maintain strong working relationships with Facilities, Public Safety, Dining Services and Student Affairs departments to achieve common goals towards the enrollment and retention of students.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Required: Master’s degree in college student personnel, student affairs, educational leadership, educational administration or related field from a four-year college or university with at least three years of live-on professional college housing experience
- Preferred: 3- 5 years of experience, specifically mid-level or higher management in college housing administration
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrate understanding of residential, women college student needs
- Experience in crisis intervention and emergency management
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work in diverse community respectfully with staff and students
- Able to demonstrate leadership and serve as a positive role model for students
- Ability to work in a hands-on, collaborative environment
- Experience working with a diverse population of college women
- Experience as a live-on campus housing staff member
- This is a 12 month, live-on profession staff position. The Director of Residence Life will hold office regular office hours in the Main Residence Life office, in the individual residence hall and serve as a 24 / 7 on-call professional staff member for emergency and crisis situations in the evenings and on weekends. She is the on-campus professional to respond and assist the on-duty staff as needed.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND TASKS:
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES (Functions and Tasks):
- Establish a positive and inclusive atmosphere and encourage behavior that ensures safety, security, community and a sense of unity within the residence halls.
- Maintain an active, daily presence in residence halls, on campus, in the Dining Hall and throughout campus by engaging with residents and non-residents at events and as a matter of routine as a live-in campus housing professional.
- Respond to and resolve emergency and non-emergency situations; provide leadership during emergency and crisis situations in the residence halls and in the greater campus community; become familiar with and follow institutional and departmental guidelines regarding emergencies.
- Develop and monitor staff on-duty coverage schedule and regularly participate in the duty rotation.
- Clearly communicate, interpret and enforce department and university policies to staff and students; Ensure staff members are appropriately confronting and documenting behavioral issues and concerns; Conduct disciplinary conferences for housing policy and Student Code of Conduct violations and monitor assigned sanctions through judicial records in consultation with the Dean of Student Services.
- Maintain knowledge of building concerns and actively coordinate with Facilities staff to address issues.
- Evaluate and assess housing occupancy, retention, and projection trends.
- Facilitate room assignments, selection and changes; and associated billing.
- Coordinate hall openings and closings; room assignments and turnovers.
- Assist Conference Services with tasks, on-call functions and other assistance during summer months as deemed necessary.
- Direct and assist Residence Life staff community building and enforcement of university and residence life/housing policies.
- Coordinate and support hall/campus/community efforts to provide successful programs
- Direct and mentor staff to reach team goals and outcomes
- Serve as a positive role model for staff and students
- Meet individually and collectively with staff members on a regular basis, in order to monitor performance and community needs.
- Maintain essential office records including rosters, conduct files, Room Inventory Forms, etc. Maintain accurate records of expenses. Maintain confidentiality for sensitive and FERPA protected information; prepare necessary reports as directed, in a thorough and timely fashion.
- Facilitate staff development, professional development and on-going training for the staff
- Develop and implement Residence Life’s Community Development/Programming Model
- Advise the Residence Hall Council, Attend all meetings and events;
SECONDARY RESPONSIBILITIES (Functions & Tasks):
- Attend Monthly Student Affairs Leadership Team Meetings
- Meet weekly with VP for Student Affairs
- Collaborate with Student Affairs staff members on campus wide programming initiatives
- Other duties as assigned and deemed necessary by the Vice President for Student Affairs
Interested candidates should submit an application to the “Apply Here Now” link below. Incomplete applications may not be reviewed.
Trinity is dedicated to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its students, faculty and staff. Trinity is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive community and strongly encourages all qualified individuals to apply.