Associate Director of Human Resources for Benefits
Trinity Washington University’s Office of Human Resources seeks an Associate Director of Human Resources to have primary responsibility for the coordination and communication of benefits programs (medical, life, disability, dental, retirement, education benefits, etc.) for the University. This position will provide direct counseling to employees on types of benefits coverage, including retirement. The Associate Director will manage open enrollment/new hire enrollment, work with benefit brokers and vendors, and provide recommendations for benefit plans that will benefit Trinity’s faculty and staff. The Associate Director will work with appropriate vendors to resolve benefit issues regarding eligibility, claims, and retirement benefits and ensure compliance with legal and tax requirements. In addition to benefits administration, the Associate Director will work closely with the Executive Director on the management of other dimensions of Human Resources at Trinity.
- Provides direction and counseling to employees related to benefits offered by the University.
- Responds to inquiries about benefits and retirement plans. Follows up with employees as necessary.
- Supports Human Resources management in the development of strategies, objectives, budgets, and in fostering improvements in policies and procedures.
- In conjunction with the Executive Director for HR, provides a broad range of analysis, data management, and research in the administration of the University’s benefit plans, including both health/welfare and retirement plans. Assists in the development and execution of in-depth processes to ensure compliance with benefit plan documents and federal regulations.
- Counsels employees in retirement planning and actual retirement from the University’s retirement plan.
- Works directly with Trinity’s vendors and brokers for retirement, health, dental, life insurance, and FSA, to ensure plans are operating as expected, and to make recommendations, as needed, for improvements.
- Manages Trinity’s leave programs including FMLA. Workers Compensation, LTD in accordance with university policy and state, federal, and local laws.
- Ensures Affordable Care Act compliance.
- Oversees dissemination of union information and benefit offerings for adjunct employees
- Coordinates annual non-discrimination testing; ensures 403B plan is maintained and in accordance with ERISA and DOL regulations
- Assists employees in the understanding and coordination of retirement plans, Medicare, and Social Security.
- Ensures benefit action compliance with state rules and laws. Identifies issues and provides recommendations for correction.
- Assists in developing, presenting, and disseminating communications information about open enrollment, new employee onboarding, and/or other key benefit events.
- Performs benefits analysis, identifies issues and provides recommendations for efficiency and/or corrections.
- Develops and maintains appropriate metrics/tracking mechanisms to measure results.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree, required Concentration in Human Resources, preferred. Master’s Degree, preferred. Will consider a combination of directly related benefits experience and education. Five (5) years of experience in Human Resources functions with at least three (3) years in Benefits. Knowledge of all applicable benefits requirements, regulations, and laws.
- Skill in the effective use of applicable technology/systems.
- Working experience with ADP’s WorkForce Now a plus.
- Working knowledge of retirement plan administration, Social Security, and Medicare.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and independently.
- Accomplishes responsibilities by applying specialized and theoretical benefits knowledge, principles.
- Resolves issues and significant matters on behalf of management by utilizing independent judgment, discretion, creativity, and analytical thinking.
- Contributes to development and evaluation of human resource and benefit offices goals and objectives.
- Creates solutions to ensure legal and policy compliance.
- May independently manage or administer programs, processes, projects, or resources.
- Applies intermediate-level knowledge, concepts, principles, and skills.
- Decision-making requires significant interpretation, analysis, and evaluation of various alternatives. Independently anticipates needs and requirements to resolve non-routine matters.
- Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to Trinity’s Vision, Mission, and Goals as outlined in the Trinity Strategic Plan.
- Salary Range: Commensurate with education and experience.
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish candidates are highly desirable
Interested candidates should follow the “Apply Here Now” link below to submit an application.
Trinity Washington University is dedicated to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its students, faculty, and staff. Trinity is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive community and strongly encourages all qualified individuals to apply.