- B.A., Sociology, Meli University, Tehran, Iran
- M.A., Sociology, American University
- Ph.D., Sociology, American University
- Community-based research
- Community-based learning
- Gender, race and ethnicity, and social class inequities
Select Works Published
- "C. Wright Mills Friendly Critique of Service Learning and an Innovative Response"
Sam Marullo, Roxana Moayedi, and Deanna Cooke, Teaching Sociology, 2009
- Collected and coordinated the quantities data for Portray Project 2010 Washington Area Women's Foundation (Complete Report)
- Women's Small Business Development Directory for Washington Area Women's Foundation (Directory)
I consider teaching to be a scholarly activity and my goal for teaching is to focus on students learning by promoting a productive learning community. In class, I try to encourage students to pose sociological questions and to bring data to bear on them. In all my courses, I emphasize the centrality of race, class, and gender in society and in sociological analysis. I try to structure my courses to develop the sociological literacy of the students and the application of sociological knowledge to policy issues.