Dual Licensure: Inclusive Education
As an alternative to its special education program, Trinity offers the first and only program in the District of Columbia allowing students to earn licensure in their primary program area AND special education. This option requires candidates to take four courses in special education in addition to their course sequence in their primary program area.
At Trinity we believe that all educators should be prepared to work with students with disabilities. This program focuses on developing the knowledge, skills, and abilities to teach students with and without disabilities in inclusive settings.
More Options: Related Degree Programs
- Associate of Arts in Early Childhood Education offered on Trinity’s main campus and also at THEARC in Southeast DC.
- Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education
- Master of Science in Administration in School Leadership, which also offers a specialization in Early Childhood Education
Prepare for teacher licensure in DC and most states, with programs in early childhood, elementary, secondary, or special education. Option for dual licensure in special education AND your primary focus area.
Whichever program you choose, the Master of Arts degree includes core curriculum including:EDCC 510 Human Growth and Development
EDCC 530 Education of Exceptional Children and Youth
EDCC 541 Foundations of Education and the Art of Teaching and Learning
EDCC 542 Positive Approaches to Teaching Students with Challenging Behavior
Prerequisites: EDCC 510, EDCC 530, EDCC 541
Approved by the DC State Education Agency, Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE), and meets requirements for state certification.
Accredited by Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
Discover Your Strength with a Truly Singular Higher Education Experience
Trinity Washington University has been educating national and local leaders for over 120 years.
- Attend a U.S. Department of Education-designated Predominantly Black Institution and a Minority Serving Institution
- Graduate with less debt: Trinity has the lowest private college tuition rate in the Washington D.C. region
- Learn leadership skills in Trinity’s inclusive environment: Trinity is a national innovator for gender, racial and social equity in higher education
- Trinity empowers women leaders to make positive changes for their families, communities, places of work and the larger society
- Learn to lead with integrity and compassion, justice and equity as a professional and as a citizen leader
- Community: Trinity graduates more D.C. residents than any other private college, making up nearly 60% of the student body.
- Trinity’s location in the heart of the nation’s capital provides unparalleled internship and research opportunities
- Care for each and every student: Trinity’s ~4:1 student-to-teacher ratio means students are never just a number
- Lifelong learning: Trinity develops the drive to keep learning, to discover and analyze new ideas, to advocate and implement actions that contribute to the common good and support social transformation
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education since 1921
- Trinity graduates consistently perform above the national average on professional exit exams and certifications
- Trinity’s award-winning faculty are national and local leaders in their fields, with many highly awarded for research and other publications
- With opportunities for original research in many programs, Trinity students have been cited as authors in published research and articles